Friday, August 17, 2012

Desktop: Summer Beach

A recent wallpaper-downloading binge has turned me into a desktop addict. Or maybe a DADD victim (Desktop Attention Deficit Disorder). Either way, I had to try my hand at another setup with this wallpaper, to get me into the right mood for summer.

NEW desktop

(click for larger version)'

(download the wallpaper here)

As you can see, I opted for a refreshing change in configs, mostly because I wanted them to fit in with the wallpaper. I am, as usual, running Rainmeter v1.1.

In the top left-hand corner, I’ve got iTunes White, by r3ginald.  While it leaves a little to be desired, it’s handy skin and looks great. For more of my thoughts on it, check out last week’s post. In addition to iTunes White, I’ve got the iTunes toolbar in my taskbar. Just right click the taskbar and navigate over to Toolbars and check “iTunes”, and then whenever you minimize iTunes it’ll show up in your taskbar.

In the middle, I’ve got the HUD.Vision White Clock.Vision skin. It provides a nice compromise between simplicity and futurism, and it fits well into the landscape.

Sandwiching it, I’ve got the Simple Sentence Sun and Weather skins, the latter being modified slightly to fit in between the clouds and the sun. They’ve got a nice, calming quality to them, mostly due to the simple prose and font, and they fit in well with the sunset and beach.

Underneath them, I’ve got the Simple Sentence Date config which seemed the perfect missing piece for the setup.

In the end, I’m quite happy with this setup. It’s nice and calming, and the choice of skins sets new priorities for the summer; less about the tech info, more about the casual stuff. I also like the organization; the time and date are together, the sun rise/set information is near the sun, and the weather skin is near the clouds and sky. It’s subtle, but nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment